4 Ingredient Red Velvet Protein Balls
There's a plethora of protein ball recipes out there on the internet, but many involve a food processor and a long list of ingredients. If you're strapped for time and can't be bothered bringing out the fancy equipment, this recipe is for you.
I've given these little protein balls the 'Red Velvet' title due to their velvety texture and subtle cacao-berry flavour. You only need four ingredients to make them (plus water) and a bowl and spoon to mix. They're a handy snack to keep in the fridge for after a workout or mornings when you're in a rush.
I developed the recipe for Bare Blends using their Raw Cacao WPI protein blend and Bare Berries freeze-dried berry powder. The Bare Berries powder is one of my favourite ingredients to work with because it's super delicious, packed with antioxidants and gives a beautiful colour. It contains a range of different organic berries and fruits for maximum benefit: aronia*, bilberry, pomegranate, cranberry, grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry, açai, maqui, cherry and strawberry. I haven't added any additional sweeteners to the recipe, but if you like things on the sweeter side you could add some rice malt syrup, pure maple syrup or raw honey to taste.
* If you're like me and don't know what 'aronia' is, I looked it up - it's a shrub that produces sour berries called 'chokeberries' that are high in essential phytonutrients.
Red Velvet Protein Balls
Gluten-free | Grain-free | Low sugar
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup Bare Blends Raw Cacao WPI
- 1/4 cup Bare Blends Bare Berries
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
- Roll into balls.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
Makes about 12 balls.