Banana Bread ... my remake of an old favourite
I first posted my recipe for this grain-free, low sugar Banana Bread over a year ago on my old blog. It has been, by far, my most popular recipe.
I developed the recipe after searching high and low for a grain-free banana bread that didn't contain a truck-load of bananas and additional high-fructose sweeteners (like honey or dates). For me, highly sweetened food (even when completely natural) can leave me unsatisfied and craving more.
The recipe below is a tweaked version of my original recipe. On the day that I made it, I had three small bananas to use up. So I increased the remaining ingredients to accommodate and ended up with this version.
Once the loaf has cooled, I like to slice it up and freeze the slices (separating each slice with some baking paper) for a quick snack or treat. I defrost a slice by whacking it in the oven (or in the microwave if I'm desperate). The loaf is dairy-free, but if you're ok to eat dairy, I think it's amazing warmed up with some organic butter.
Gluten-free | Grain-free | Dairy-free | Nut-free
- 3 small ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup raw extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 6 small eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon (gluten-free) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and line the base and sides of a loaf tin with baking paper (I use a 22 x 11 cm loaf tin).
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl, then beat in the melted coconut oil and eggs. (If your eggs are cold from the fridge, the melted coconut oil may start to seize up. If so, place the bowl in a couple of inches of hot water in your sink and stir until the mixture melts together again).
- Stir through the remaining dry ingredients until well combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 10 - 12 slices.