These little balls get their butterscotch flavour from energy boosting maca powder. I developed the recipe for Bare Blends and their raw Peruvian maca powder has fast become one of my favourite ingredients thanks to its earthy, caramel-like taste.
I have tried a few different maca powders over the years and I feel like this one has the best flavour. It works really well in protein balls and smoothies when combined with Bare Blends Vanilla Bean WPC or WPI. The vanilla bean adds an extra layer of deliciousness.
These balls are quick and easy to make – you just blend it all together, roll and you’re done. I use two tablespoons of maca powder in the recipe for maximum flavour, but you could reduce it slightly if you prefer. I always encourage having a taste of the mixture and adjusting to suit your personal taste!
Gluten free | Grain free | Low carb
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder (I use Bare Blends Vanilla Bean WPC or WPI)
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons maca powder (I use Bare Blends Raw Peruvian Maca powder)
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon rice malt syrup
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until the mixture comes together.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Roll the mixture into balls and place on the tray.
- Leave the balls in the fridge for about an hour until set. Store in the fridge or freezer.
Makes 10 – 12 balls.