It’s very satisfying to know you can whip up a warming mini-cake in a matter of minutes. I’ve been experimenting with mug cakes recently, and I think this Caramel Coconut Mug Cake one is my favourite.
I add a dash of maca powder to this recipe to boost the caramel-like flavour. If you haven’t used maca powder before, it tastes like caramel’s slightly earthier cousin. I’ve found that different brands of maca have different flavours. Bare Blends Raw Peruvian Maca powder is my personal favourite in terms of taste and quality.
If you’re after a chocolatey variation, you could try my Chocolate Mug Cake. In both recipes I use rice malt syrup as the sweetener. Rice malt syrup is a suitable sweetener if you’re following a low FODMAP diet and it has a subtle flavour. If you want the mug cake to taste sweeter, you can use pure maple syrup or honey instead.
Caramel Coconut Mug Cake
- 3 x 20ml tablespoons oat flour
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon coconut yoghurt (or natural yoghurt)
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon rice malt syrup (or pure maple syrup or honey)
- 1 x 20ml tablespoons oat milk (or your milk or choice)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Large pinch of coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- Extra yogurt to serve
- Mix all ingredients together in a (microwave safe) mug or ramekin. You want the mixture to be a smooth consistency. If it’s too thick, add a little extra oat milk.
- Microwave for about 1 minute 40 seconds on medium. This is what works best in my microwave. You don’t want to overcook it, so you can check it after a minute and then every 10 seconds or so until the cake is just set on top.
- Serve with an extra dollop of yoghurt on top.
I use an Australian 20ml tablespoon. 1 x 20ml tablespoon = 4 teaspoons.
You can make oat flour by whizzing rolled oats in a food processor or blender to get a powder. Oats naturally don’t contain gluten, but as they are often processed on the same equipment as wheat, they can have traces of gluten. If you’re strictly gluten-free, you can buy gluten-free oats.
You might also like my Raw Maca Caramel Slice.