Does anyone else love chewy things? There is a time and place for crunchy, creamy or soft, but sometimes I want something that I can sink my teeth into and have a good chew. So I made this gluten-free Chewy Chocolate Slice.
The 'chew' comes from Forage's gluten-free Cereal (which I received in the May Goodness Me Box). It's simply a mixture of organic puffed gluten-free grains (brown rice, millet, amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa), pumpkin seeds, almonds, sunflower seeds and a few dried cranberries. I personally limit grains, but I don't mind a small amount of gluten-free grains every now and then.
If you'd prefer to keep the slice grain-free, you could use a mixture of crushed nuts, seeds and coconut in place of the cereal.
i n g r e d i e n t s
for the base:
- 1/4 cup raw extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons plain protein powder (I used a sprouted brown rice protein powder)
- 2 teaspoons raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 1 cup Forage gluten-free Cereal
for the chocolate topping:
- 60g dark (85% cocoa) chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons raw extra virgin coconut oil, melted
p r e p a r a t i o n
- Line a 10 x 16cm container with baking paper or cling film.
- Mix the melted coconut oil, cacao powder and protein powder together in a large bowl, then stir in the rice malt syrup. Tip the Forage Gluten-Free Cereal into the bowl and mix well until everything is well combined. Press the mixture firmly into the prepared container and leave in the freezer to set.
- To make the topping, stir the melted chocolate and coconut oil together until well combined. Once the base is set, remove it from the freezer and pour over the chocolate mixture. Return the slice to the freezer until the chocolate is set.
- Once the chocolate topping is set, remove the slice from the contain and cut into squares. Store in the fridge or freezer.
Makes 12 pieces.