Most weekends, I make some sort of protein ball to store in my fridge for when I need a quick snack (they also come in handy if you're craving something extra after dinner). I've been getting a lot of requests for a vegan protein ball that is also nut-free, so I came up with these!
They're super easy to make and contain protein and good fats. I used Proper Protein Chocolate Pea Protein Powder (suitable for vegans or people who can't do whey protein) and added some extra cacao powder and pure peppermint oil because choc-mint is one of my all time favourite combos. I've also kept the sweetener quite low as peppermint oil provides some natural sweetness, but adjust the level of sweetener to your liking.
- 1/2 cup Proper Protein Chocolate Pea Protein Powder (or another plant-based protein powder)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (or rolled oats processed into a powder) *
- 1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or water
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons rice malt syrup (or to taste)
- 1 drop pure peppermint oil (or peppermint essence to taste)
- Extra unsweetened desiccated coconut for coating
- Mix the protein powder, oat flour, desiccated coconut and cacao powder together in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the almond milk (or water), tahini, melted coconut oil, rice malt syrup and peppermint oil. Mix everything together until well combined. Taste and add more rice malt syrup (and/or peppermint) if desired.
- Roll the mixture into balls and coat in the extra desiccated coconut. Leave to set in the fridge. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze.
* If you are allergic to gluten, make sure you buy gluten-free oat flour or use gluten-free oats to make the oat flour. Oats may contain traces of gluten as they are commonly processed on the same equipment as wheat.