Most weekends, I make some protein balls to store in my fridge for when I need a quick snack (they also come in handy if you’re craving something extra after dinner). I’ve been getting a lot of requests for a vegan protein ball that is also nut-free, so I came up with these!
They’re super easy to make and contain protein and good fats. I used Proper Protein Chocolate Pea Protein Powder* and added some extra cacao powder and pure peppermint oil because choc-mint is one of my all time favourite combos. I’ve also kept the sweetener quite low as peppermint oil provides some natural sweetness, but adjust the level of sweetener to your liking.
* Update: This protein powder is no longer available, but you can use another plant-based chocolate protein powder instead.
Choc Mint Protein Balls
- 1/2 cup chocolate plant-based protein powder
- 1/2 cup oat flour (or rolled oats processed into a powder)
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or water
- 1/4 cup tahini (or nut butter)
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons rice malt syrup (or to taste)
- 1 drop pure peppermint oil (or peppermint essence to taste)
- Extra unsweetened desiccated coconut for coating
- Mix the protein powder, oat flour, desiccated coconut and cacao powder together in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the almond milk (or water), tahini, melted coconut oil, rice malt syrup and peppermint oil. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Taste and add more rice malt syrup (and/or peppermint) if desired.
- Roll the mixture into balls and coat in the extra desiccated coconut. Leave to set in the fridge.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze.
I use an Australian 20ml tablespoon. 1 x 20ml tablespoon = 4 teaspoons.
Oats naturally don’t contain gluten, but as they are often processed on the same equipment as wheat, they can have traces of gluten. If you’re strictly gluten-free, you can buy gluten-free oats.
You might also like my Choc Mint Matcha Cups.