I recently bought some Bare Blends Organic Cacao WPI Native Whey Protein, which seems to be all the rage at the moment (it’s delicious and relatively clean as far as protein powders go). It’s all over Instagram in people’s smoothies. However, I love to eat things. So I’ve been trying out ways to ‘eat’ it.
This is my favourite way so far: a super-creamy chocolate mousse. As usual, the mousse is refined sugar-free and provides satisfying good fats (from the avocado) and antioxidants (from the raw cacao powder).
Before you lose your hat about the addition of avocado, don’t worry, you can’t taste it. It just adds a smooth and creamy texture, which the whey protein further enhances.
Chocolate Protein Mousse
- 1 small avocado (or half a large one)
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons chocolate whey protein powder (I used Bare Blends Organic Cacao WPI)
- 2 – 3 x 20ml tablespoons raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 – 2 x 20ml tablespoons rice malt syrup (or pure maple syrup or honey)
- Place all ingredients into a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve with raw cacao nibs or crushed nuts sprinkled on top for crunch.
I use an Australian 20ml tablespoon. 1 x 20ml tablespoon = 4 teaspoons.
Adjust the amount of cacao powder (or cocoa powder) to suit your taste. Just keep in mind that the more cacao you add, the less likely you will be able to taste the avocado.
You might also like my Black Forest Protein Ice-Cream.