If you've been following my Instagram or Facebook pages, you'll know that I'm currently travelling around the US. Food-wise, I'm loving trying out new cafes and restaurants (and chocolates...there's been a lot of chocolate sampling). But, as is always the case when I travel, I end up missing my time spent in my kitchen creating delights like this Chocolate Veggie Loaf.
I made this loaf before I left on my trip and was really pleased with the result. So I'm sharing it with you now, to keep things rolling before I get back home to my kitchen activities in a couple of weeks.
It's one of those sweet loaves that includes hidden vegetables for extra nutrients, and they also keep the texture nice and moist (moist is word that makes me cringe, but I still haven't found an appropriate synonym - "not dry", "slightly wet" or "damp" just don't cut it).
To sweeten the loaf, I used Pureharvest Coco2 Hazelnut Spread, which is made with just hazelnuts, rice malt syrup, coconut oil, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt. It's delicious and worked a treat in the loaf. You can find it at Coles and Woolworths if you're in Australia (or you could try using 1/3 cup almond butter + 1/3 cup rice malt syrup instead, although I haven't tested the recipe this way).
After the loaf has cooled, I cut it into slices, (eat a couple of slices...obviously) and then freeze the leftovers with a piece of baking paper separating each slice. I love to eat it with raspberries or spread with cottage cheese with some crushed nuts on top for texture. But it's also nice just by itself.
i n g r e d i e n t s
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 2/3 cup Pureharvest Coco2 Hazelnut Spread
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted if lumpy
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
p r e p a r a t i o n
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a loaf tin with baking paper (I use a 22 x 11 cm loaf tin).
- Stir the Coco2 Hazelnut Spread, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract together in a large bowl until well combined. Add the eggs and beat until combined. Beat in the grated carrot and zucchini and then beat in the remaining dry ingredients until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Allow the loaf to cool before slicing it up.