I gave these bars the ‘chunky monkey’ name because they consist of a fudgy chocolate base, studded with chunks of walnuts, coconut and dried sour cherries. I love the combination of fudgy, crunchy, sweet and sour.
I developed the recipe for Bare Blends. The chewy, fudgy base has a cookie dough-like texture so it will hold pretty much whatever you choose to add.
Feel free to get creative with what you add to the mixture. You could use any nuts you like. Macadamia nuts would be super deluxe. If you don’t have dried sour cherries, dried cranberries or even dried golden inca berries would work well.
Chunky Monkey Protein Bars
- 1/4 cup chocolate whey protein powder (I used Bare Blends Raw Cacao WPI)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried sour cherries
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- Place the protein powder, cacao powder, rice malt syrup and softened coconut oil into a bowl and mix until you get a smooth dough. You will need to slowly work the syrup and oil into the powders. I find it best to work the mixture together by continuously pressing it against the side of the bowl using the back of the spoon.
- Add the walnuts, sour cherries and coconut flakes to the bowl and use your hands to squash them into the chocolate dough.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Shape the mixture into bars and place on the tray. Leave in the fridge for about an hour to set.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
I use an Australian 20ml tablespoon. 1 x 20ml tablespoon = 4 teaspoons.
You might also like my Chocolate Whey Protein Bars.