Who doesn’t love a smooth and velvety dairy free mocha mousse? I certainly do and I think this coffee chocolate version flavoured with cold brew coffee and cacao is my new favourite.
As the title suggests, the mousse doesn’t contain any dairy, so there’s no cream like a traditional mousse. I use avocado instead to create a thick and creamy texture. Let me explain.
I’m not allergic to dairy (and I enjoy eating it) but sometimes it can leave me feeling a bit bloated if I eat too much of it. So I often make chocolate mousse with avocado (I’ve also made a Sweet Potato Chocolate Mousse if you’re interested).
You can’t actually taste the avocado because the cacao and coffee mask it’s flavour. It just provides a beautiful texture and added health benefits. It is important to blend the mousse well though to make sure you aren’t left with any green lumps.
I like to serve the mousse in little espresso cups and I enjoy it just by itself. But if you wanted to up the indulgence factor, you could top each mousse cup with some grated dark chocolate or cacao nibs and perhaps some raspberries (which I think would actually work really well with the coffee flavour).
Dairy Free Mocha Mousse
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup cold brew or strong brewed coffee (I used Rushmore Cold Brew Coffee)
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into espresso cups to serve.
- Store in the fridge.
I use an Australian 20ml tablespoon. 1 x 20ml tablespoon = 4 teaspoons.
You might also like my Chocolate Protein Mousse.