This rich chocolate mousse is perfect for times when you have a chocolate craving that you need to hit squarely on the head. Coconut cream provides the base, then you get a three-way chocolate injection via antioxidant-rich cacao powder, cacao whey protein and crunchy raw cacao nibs.
I developed the recipe for Bare Blends using their Raw Cacao WPI (whey protein isolate). WPI is derived from dairy but almost all of the lactose has been removed so this mousse can be a good option if you prefer not to eat too much dairy.
Unlike a lot of dairy-free mousses, this one doesn’t contain any avocado. Although I love adding some avocado for extra creaminess, a lot of people aren’t so keen on it so I kept this one avocado-free!
I like to make the mousse ‘choc chip’ with the addition of raw cacao nibs throughout the mixture. I have a slight obsession with contrasting textures, so the crunch of the cacao nibs against the smooth mousse is perfection for me. It would also be amazing served with some fresh berries if you have them.
Decadent Choc Chip Mousse
- 1/2 cup refrigerated coconut cream (use the thick portion)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons chocolate whey protein powder (I used Bare Blends Raw Cacao WPI)
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
- Whisk the coconut cream, cacao powder, protein powder and rice malt syrup together until smooth.
- Stir through the raw cacao nibs. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To serve, spoon the mousse into glasses and top with extra raw cacao nibs if desired.
I use an Australian 20ml tablespoon. 1 x 20ml tablespoon = 4 teaspoons.
You might also like my Double Chocolate Fudge.