These homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars are perfect to keep in the fridge for breakfasts or snacks when you need something tasty and satisfying. They have a soft and fudgy texture thanks to the peanut butter and the addition of oat bran boosts the fibre content.
The recipe makes quite a bit: 10 large bars. If you don’t think you’ll get through that many you can easily halve the mixture. You could also shape the mixture into smaller balls if you prefer bite-sized snacks. The dough is very versatile. If you feel like pimping them out, you could add some dark chocolate chips to the dough before shaping into bars.
When buying natural peanut butter to use in the recipe, it’s best to look for brands that only contain peanuts and perhaps a touch of salt. That should be it. Added sugars or oils aren’t really necessary. I use oat bran in the bars because it’s slightly higher in fibre than normal oats and I like its texture. If you don’t have any oat bran, you could whiz some rolled oats in the food processor until you get a flour and use that instead. Just make sure the final amount of oat flour equates to 1 1/2 cups.
Peanut Butter Protein Bars
- 1 1/2 cups oat bran
- 1 cup vanilla whey protein powder (I use Bare Blends Vanilla Bean WPI)
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup (or pure maple syrup or honey)
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- Water, as needed
- Place the protein powder, oat bran, rice malt syrup and peanut butter into a food processor and process until you get a dough. You will need to add a little water to bring everything together – I usually add about 1/2 cup water.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Form the mixture into bar shapes with your hands and press onto the tray. Leave in the fridge to firm up.
- Store in the fridge and use within a week or freeze.
Oats and oat bran naturally don’t contain gluten, but as they are often processed on the same equipment as wheat, they can have traces of gluten. If you’re strictly gluten-free, you can buy gluten-free oats and process them in a food processor to get 1 1/2 cups oat flour.
You might also like my Chocolate Whey Protein Bars.