Smoothie bowls have been popping up everywhere for a while now. But what about a smoothie sundae? There’s something delicious about a thick smoothie that you can eat with a spoon, topped with sweet and crunchy things.
This smoothie sundae is kind of like a healthy soft-serve in a glass that you can top with all of your favourite things! I like to keep the sugar content a bit lower when I make smoothies, so I always add some protein powder and a mixture of frozen fruit and frozen zucchini. Zucchini sounds a bit weird, but when it’s frozen raw and then blended into a smoothie it adds thickness and creaminess so you don’t have to use quite as much fruit.
You can top the sundaes with whatever you like. I love a combination of blueberries, coconut, Bare Blends Bare Berries powder and some chocolate coated macadamia nuts to make it extra treaty.
For the smoothie:
- 1 cup frozen blueberries or raspberries
- 1 cup chopped frozen banana (or chopped frozen zucchini or a combination of both)
- 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder (I used Bare Blends Vanilla Bean WPI)
- 1 cup plain water or coconut water
- 2 teaspoons Bare Blends Bare Berries
- Coconut flakes
- Chocolate coated fruits or nuts
- Blend the smoothie ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor until smooth. You want it to stay thick, but if your blender is struggling you can add a little bit more water to help it blend.
- Pour the smoothie mixture into two chilled glasses.
- Top each glass with some blueberries, coconut flakes, a few chocolate coated nuts and a teaspoon of Bare Berries.
- Enjoy straight away.
For a lower sugar option, you can replace some or all of the frozen banana with frozen zucchini. Make sure you chop the banana and/or the zucchini into pieces before freezing to make it easier to blend.
You might also like my Cookie Crumble Parfait.