Superfood Protein Balls
Who doesn't love a protein ball? They're handy little things to have on hand for a post-workout snack, a buddy to your coffee in the morning or to blast afternoon sugar cravings and get you through to dinner.
But the problem with so many 'protein balls' out there is that they are made with a heap of high-fructose sweeteners, such as dates (which I find just leads to sugar cravings).
So I created this recipe, which is low sugar but still fudgy, sweet and delicious thanks to the use of almond butter and SuperNourish's new superfood boosted Prochia protein powder. In case you're wondering, this is not a sponsored post. The guys at SuperNourish just gave me some of the protein to try and I loved it.
I used the plant-based Prochia Pea Protein Isolate to make the balls (which is vegan and lightly sweetened with stevia). It's also blended with raw cacao powder, vanilla, acai berry, chia seeds and cinnamon, so it adds a nice flavour to the balls. You can check it out here. If you don't have any, you could use another natural protein powder instead (just try to avoid powders containing artificial sweeteners and fillers).
i n g r e d i e n t s
- 1 cup SuperNourish Prochia Pea Protein Isolate
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons raw extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons rice malt syrup (or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 2 teaspoons mesquite powder (optional)
p r e p a r a t i o n
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined. It may take a while for everything to combine; just keep working it together with the back of a spoon.
- Allow the mixture to firm up slightly in the fridge, then roll into balls. You could coat the balls in extra chia seeds, shredded coconut or crushed nuts if you wish.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Makes 12 balls.