Sweet Potato Chocolate Mousse
This is one of those recipes that you have to try to believe. I'm not going to try and sell it to you in words. Just don't knock it until you've tried it. You may be pleasantly surprised! It's perfect if you want a quick and healthy dairy-free chocolate mousse (and don't like the versions made with avocado or coconut cream).
I re-made it the other day and I'd forgotten how good it was. I love the earthy sweetness of the sweet potato and find that I don't need to add as much sweetener as I would with a dairy or avocado-based chocolate mousse. This time I topped it with pistachio nuts and some shaved dark chocolate (which I highly recommend).
As I've mentioned before, I keep frozen portions of puréed roasted sweet potato in my freezer (I've written about this here and here). If I want to make this mousse, I just pull a portion out of the freezer, defrost it in a frypan (or in the microwave), grab some raw cacao powder and I'm moments away from creamy, chocolatey goodness.
i n g r e d i e n t s
- 1/2 cup sweet potato purée
- 3 - 4 teaspoons raw cacao powder (depending on how dark you want it)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Rice malt syrup, to taste
- Small handful of pistachio nuts
- 1 square of dark chocolate, chopped or shaved
p r e p a r a t i o n
- Mix the sweet potato purée, cacao powder, vanilla and sea salt together in a small bowl until well combined, adding a dash of rice malt syrup to taste.
- Top with the pistachio nuts and dark chocolate and enjoy!