I always have a few cans of chickpeas in my cupboard. They can easily be transformed into something delicious in a matter of minutes. When you need something healthy and tasty fast, this chickpea dish is perfect. It literally takes two minutes to prepare. Plus you only need one pan to make it, so washing up is minimal.
When using canned chickpeas, I think it’s worth getting the best quality ones you can afford. You can find organic varieties in most supermarkets. There are also no added salt varieties if you are looking to reduce your salt intake. However, if you’re using a no added salt variety I would definitely recommend tasting at the end and seasoning with a bit of your own salt. At least when using your own salt, you can use a less refined version like sea salt.
The dish is best served warm shortly after coming off the heat. But I still enjoy it cold if there are any leftovers. It can be eaten by itself or you can add some protein such as leftover meat, boiled eggs or vegan options like tofu or crushed nuts. It also makes a great side dish. Handy if you’re asked to bring something to a friend’s place for dinner and you’re short on time.
Two Minute Spiced Chickpeas
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- Large handful baby spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a fry pan over a high heat. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Toss the chickpeas in the hot pan until warmed through. Stir through the curry paste.
- Add the spinach to the pan and stir through the chickpeas until wilted.
- Take the pan off the heat, taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
You might also like my Warm Toasted Teff Salad.