These little Chocolate Caramel bites are perfect if you want something sweet for dessert. Made with only two ingredients, they’re also gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
First ingredient is fresh Medjool dates. The secret here is that when you freeze Medjool dates they transform into a chewy caramel-like texture. My friend Kylie alerted me to this fact (thanks Kylie!).
Second ingredient is some chocolate. Any chocolate will work. I’ve used dark chocolate as that is what I keep at home for cooking. But if you want to recreate more of a sweet chewy caramel, milk chocolate would be delicious.
2 Ingredient Chocolate Caramels
- 8 x fresh Medjool dates (I used Natural Delights® Pitted Medjool Dates)
- 100g chocolate of choice
- Cut each Medjool date into three pieces. Roll or shape each piece with your fingers to make little squares. Place the squares onto a tray lined with baking paper and leave in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to firm up.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or using a double boiler. Make sure you don’t overheat it (see video at the top of this post for what it should look like when you take it out of the microwave).
- Retrieve the Medjool date pieces from the freezer. Using two teaspoons, dip each piece in the melted chocolate and place back on the tray lined with baking paper. Once all pieces are coated, return them to the freezer until the chocolate is set.
- Store in the freezer, as this is what keeps the centres chewy. You can eat them straight from the freezer.
You might also like my 4 Ingredient Brownie Batter Bites.