If you struggle to find time to make breakfast in the mornings, these Chocolate Medjool Date Overnight Oats could be your solution. They only take a few minutes to prepare the night before, then you have a healthy breakfast ready to go in the morning.
I developed the recipe for Natural Delights® using their fresh Pitted Medjool Dates, which I regularly use because the pits have been taken out for you. Super convenient. You can get them at Coles if you’re in Australia.
The recipe is kid-friendly, being chocolate and all. But it still contains no refined sugar and is sweetened only with two fresh Medjool dates per serve. The oats also contain a nutritious boost from the addition of chia seeds. I used almond milk in the recipe, but feel free to use any milk of your choice.
Chocolate Medjool Date Overnight Oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or your milk of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Natural Delights® Pitted Medjool Dates
- Place the oats, chia seeds and cocoa powder into a bowl. Finely chop 2 of the Medjool dates and add them to the bowl. Stir everything to combine.
- Add the almond milk and vanilla extract and stir everything together until well combined and the mixture starts to thicken.
- Spoon the mixture into two serving glasses. Slice the remaining 2 Medjool dates and use them to top each glass. Cover the glasses with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight. The mixture will thicken further overnight.
- In the morning, simply take the glasses out of the fridge and serve.
Oats naturally don’t contain gluten, but as they are often processed on the same equipment as wheat, they can have traces of gluten. If you’re strictly gluten free, you can buy gluten free oats.
You might also like my Caramel Overnight Proats.