I’ve always loved the concept of a sweetly spiced granola. But so many commercial varieties are laden with refined sugary syrups. Sweetened only with fresh Medjool dates, this Spiced Medjool Date Granola is a great alternative.
I developed the recipe for Natural Delights® using their new variety of chopped Medjool dates. If you’ve ever tried to finely chop whole Medjool dates, you will love this product. The pieces don’t stick together because they’re lightly rolled in coconut flour. They’re ready to sprinkle over your breakfast, throw into the blender to sweeten a smoothie or just eat by the handful with some nuts and seeds.
In this granola, the chopped Medjool dates provide sweetness, so there’s no need for syrups. To get the nuts and coconut flakes crunchy, I bake the granola in a low oven for a longer period of time. This also makes the Medjool date pieces nice and chewy, which provides a delicious contrast of textures. I love to eat the granola with coconut yogurt, or just by itself as a snack.
Spiced Medjool Date Granola
- 2 cups raw mixed nuts
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups Natural Delights® Chopped Medjool Dates
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 120°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the nuts in a plastic bag, or wrap them in a tea towel, and bash with something heavy to crush into pieces. I like to have some large pieces and some crumbs.
- Tip the nuts into a large bowl and add the coconut flakes, chopped Medjool dates, almond meal, cinnamon, allspice and salt. Stir to combine. Add the melted coconut oil and vanilla and stir again until everything is well combined.
- Spread the mixture out onto the lined baking tray in an even layer and bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours or until golden brown. At the 1-hour mark, use a spoon to re-arrange the granola on the tray to ensure it cooks evenly.
- Allow to cool completely on the tray, then store in an airtight container.
You might also like my Choc Mint Medjool Date Energy Bars.